With social distancing and other COVID-19 protocols in place, socialising with friends and family through the Internet has become the standard way to stay connected. One of the most popular ways of staying connected is through a Zoom party.
Nowadays, people organise Zoom parties for all kinds of occasions – birthdays, baby showers, anniversary celebrations, podcasts, conventions, and even throwing a party on a Friday night! If you’ve never joined or organised one yet, here’s everything you need to know.
What’s a Zoom party anyway?
A Zoom party is an online social gathering using the Zoom video conferencing app. The Zoom app is downloadable for free on desktop and mobile devices. It’s become one of the most popular video chat apps globally, next to Hangouts, Discord, FaceTime and Skype. It’s easy to familiarise yourself with the app; even the less tech-savvy users understand Zoom in no time.
Registering for a free account lets you host a video call with 100 people. And with the 100 people, you can group them into a maximum of 50 separate “breakout rooms” for smaller-group gatherings. A free account gives you 40 minutes to video call; a premium account gives you 24 hours plus other limited features.
What’s great about a Zoom party?
Here’s why you want to join the bandwagon and start your very own Zoom party:
- Whether the guests have a Zoom account or not, they’re free to join your party. It’s hassle-free! Just have them click the link, and you’re all set.
- Guests can join from any platform: PC, laptop or mobile.
- You and your guests can freely change the video layout in two ways: ‘speaker view’ and ‘gallery view’.
- You can easily manage your guests’ microphones (mute/unmute) and cameras (on/off) for a better experience.
- You and your guests can add pizzazz to the party with creative and fun Zoom backgrounds.
- You can add your own choice of background audio for added excitement.
How do you set up a Zoom party?
- Create an account – Go to the Zoom website and follow the steps to register for a new account. You can also register through the desktop and mobile apps.
- Schedule the party – Go to the Zoom app and schedule your virtual event. Follow through the process and stick with the default settings at most. You can play around with the settings later on when you get used to the interface.
- Send invitations – Spread your Zoom party link around to your guests. Jazz it up with some cute and creative invitation cards we have for free.
- Plan an Itinerary – This step is optional but is a great way to guide and manage your guests with what will happen during the party.
Put a little fun into it!
Bring the IRL experience to Zoom with a fun theme, a dress code, entertainers and musicians, and Zoom party games! Uno and Charades are some popular old-school games that are fun to play online.
And the best part? You don’t need a special occasion to make one! An awesome night with your friends, a karaoke session, a watch party, birthdays, seasonal holidays, weddings… There are so many virtual parties you can host on Zoom; the choices are endless. Be sure to check out our Zoom and virtual party invitations.